Wednesday, 13 May 2015

Betsy Shrug






I have been enjoying pattern making again, loving the design process and going from (very) rough sketch to actual finished piece.

I wanted to make this shrug, a step closer to a garment rather than an accessory. A loose fitting garment, but still almost a cardigan! And the pattern contains instructions for 3 sizes - S, M and L, I really have been on a learning curve with this one!

What I love most about it is it's easiness - both to make and wear. It's worked from the cuffs to the centre back (in the round) and then joined with a kiss like stitch pattern down the back that solved my problem of how to join the 2 pieces and also I think looks really cute. I made this one in Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino yarn (shade 600) which is just sublime! Have you ever crocheted in this yarn? Do you what I mean when I say it makes a 'shushing' sound while your hooking? Just love that!
This shrug could be made in pretty much any dk yarn I think. I have just started another in Stylecraft Alpaca Tweed in the sage colour, I'm hoping it will be just as lovely in a more rustic way, but I've only done a few rows so we will have to see.

When I asked my daughter to model for me I told her what to wear with it. I was thinking a easy, casual look, my style really. But she said she thought it would also work well as a day-to-evening garment, perhaps over a little black dress. So I started to think about sparkly yarns, silk and alpaca perhaps - how lovely?
 She's a clever girl - love her to bits :o)

So this pattern is available at Lovecrochet.com where I usually upload to. They are having a 'May is Indie Designer Month' offer. If you buy a indie pattern you get a voucher code for 10% off yarn in the same transaction, can't beat a discount code can you?

LoveKnitting Independent Designers
                                                                 

But also I have started putting my patterns onto Ravelry. I have been a Ravelry member for ages but have only just got round to listing my patterns for sale on there. Not sure why it's taken me this long, but I'm there too now:

                                                                  

That's a funny little button isn't it? I do hope all these buttons and links work - I'm copying and pasting HTML codes all over the place!

Anyway, if you do have a go at making the betsy shrug I hope you enjoy it and are happy with your finished thing. I would love to see it so you can always email me a photo if you like to betsymakes@gmail.com (use this email if you need any help with the pattern too) or you can hashtag it on instagram - #betsyshrug and I can search that and see what you've been up to.

Have a lovely day whatever you are doing,

'till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment