Saturday, 23 May 2015

Making Gifts


 Hello lovelies! This past week has been a week of two halves, starting off with some niggly negatives such as me having toothache and a stiff neck, the TV giving up the ghost and weather that could not make up it's mind! One minute bright sunshine, the next lots and lots of rain, followed by a short sunny interval and then a hail storm! Even by British weather standards it has been bizarre!
This is a faux granny square table cloth from Aldi that I made into a cover for my little one's sand tray.


So this meant lots of indoor play with our friends Ariel and Belle...


I need to cake that lilac yarn before it forms a tangled mess!

And I've been sorting out my patterns and craft magazines. I'm happier with a bit of order, or attempted order at least!
I really treasure my library of craft magazines, I subscribe to a couple and like to spend a happy hour or so every now and then going through older copies. I always seem to see something I hadn't noticed before and value the many patterns I have at hand. Storage is an issue though but I like the actual book rather than an online version so I'll have to figure out another place to keep them as my bookshelf is full!

*****
Thank you to all who have bought my betsy shrug pattern, I am so appreciative of that, thank you so much.
I got myself a bit upset when I realised there was a mistake in my pattern. I'm so glad I noticed it quickly and was able to rectify and send out updates to everyone.
It's so important to me to do a good job when creating and writing patterns that I was so bothered to find the error, however I have been reassured by those in the know that it happens all the time!
I'm still in the process of making my second shrug and I am really pleased with how it's coming up, being quite different to the first pink one. I'm looking forward to sharing that with you soon.

*****


Anyway, to the business of the post!  
I wanted to share with you some of the things I've made over the last few months that, because they were presents, I wasn't able to show you at the time.



This bee cushion is something I made for my brother and his lovely wife. My sister-in-law and I share a dream of keeping bees. I'm not sure how serious I am about it, I think I have a rose-tinted view on the pastime.  We both like bee related things so I made this cushion as a gift when we visited recently. The pattern is from the book 'Quilty Fun' by Lori Holt. This book is brilliant and has so many sweet colourful projects it's hard to choose what to do first!


These crocheted coasters were part of a housewarming gift for my husband's aunt and uncle. I'm afraid I can't remember where I found this pattern, which is such a fab little thing. But if you're interested try searching 'vintage flower motif' on the internet and see what comes up.


A pretty doily for a birthday present for my Mother-in-law. I've made this pattern before in crochet cotton and I love it so much! The pattern is an Emma Lamb design from the Mollie Makes Crochet book. This time I used Patons 100% cotton yarn, with a 3.5mm hook (I think) and the doily has come out bigger, which is really lovely.




And finally this shawlet I made for Saffron's birthday present. I am so delighted with this, and can't wait to make one for myself! The pattern is Spun Gold by Kat Goldin and I used 2 strands held together of Rowan fine lace in shade 00928 to make it in.
I can't deny that I wasn't sure about this whilst I was working on it. Firstly the edges and the end point rolled up like mad and it was difficult to control the long quintuple treble crochet stitches so they were a bit loopy at the top of the stitch. However, once blocked it transformed into a gorgeous, soft, drapey beautiful creation that I was happy to gift to my friend. All down to the lovely yarn and brilliant pattern I might add!

By Thursday my week had turned around, it was a lovely sunny day that was spent in the pleasant company of this lovely lady, with lots of crochet, yarny and knitting talk enhanced with edible delights in Fancy. Couldn't be better...

I hope you're week has more ups than downs, but remember we do have to tolerate the lows to really appreciate the highs

                                            'till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment